Thursday, June 9, 2016
City workers from The Dalles are working to remove puncture vine from public properties and asking residents to eradicate the noxious weed.
“Home and business owners in our community can be a great help by being proactive in removing puncture vine before it spreads,” wrote Nikki Lesich, codes enforcement officer, in a June 8 press release.
She said it is important to also control other vegetation growth during the hottest part of the year to reduce fire danger.
Puncture vine is commonly known as “goatheads” and spreads incredibly fast and produces very sharp seeds. When stepped on, they are painful to both animals and people. The weed is sharp enough to puncture bicycle and wheelchair tires.
City code requires removal of puncture vine and management of vegetation growth on all properties.
For more information, call Lesich at 541-296-5481, ex. 1153.
More like this story
- SWC wraps up banner season with awards
- Looking Back on November 29, 2017
- A Holiday for Heroes
- Guest Column: Do you know what and where the local drug drop box is?
- Letter to the Editor: MCMC staff awesome
- Letter to the Editor: Good, bad and ugly
- 70 years of hymns
- Five Hawk players earn spots on CRC list
- For the Record for November 17, 2017
- Vet explains public ‘outrage’
Mosier oil train fire
Clips from oil train fire in Mosier, Friday, June 3, 2016. by Mark B. Gibson/The Dalles Chronicle. Enlarge